While researching the Mackinac Island St. Anne’s Church records, there are many instances where references are made to native Americans from “Lake Superior”, this is a general reference to all tribes living on or near the shores of Lake Superior. From Wikipedia, I have compiled a list of most of those bands her. Joseph Kekimatiwain (born abt 1810) married Mary Ann Kelegekwanebe. He is listed in the marriage record as being from a Lake Superior Band:
Marriage Record for Joseph Kekimatiwain and Mary Ann Kelegekwanebe.
Lake Superior Bands:
- Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, merged from
- Lac Vieux Desert Band of Chippewa
- La Pointe Band of Lake Superior Chippewa (historical): descendants are
- Lac Courte Oreilles Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians
- Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
- St. Croix Chippewa Indians
- Sokaogon Chippewa Community
- Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
- Grand Portage Band
- Bois Forte Band of Chippewa
Older postNewer post
- Loew, Patty, 2001. Indian Nations of Wisconsin: Histories of Endurance and Renewal. Madison: Wisconsin Historical Society Press.